Effective Date: October 6, 2022
1. Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to contact or identify you. Most of the information we collect is voluntarily submitted by you such as when setting up an Account, submitting a request, or leaving us a message.
What we collect:
- When you subscribe to our newsletter, we collect your email address so that we may communicate with you.
- When you submit user generated content through the Website or Services, we may also receive any personal information contained in such content.
- When you access the Website or Services we may collect information relating to use of our Services or Website, including internet and network activity. For example, we record the URL, timestamp, IP address, type of browser, type of computer, device ID and other device address or identifiers, including device ad identifiers. This data is also transmitted to Google Analytics to help us improve the customer experience.
- When you access the Website, we also record your operating system version, browser version, and screen resolution. This data is not kept on our servers, but only stored in aggregated form in Google Analytics.
- From time to time, we may also receive information about you from our third-party service providers, affiliates, and partners, including our marketing, conference, and advertising partners and social media networks.
What we collect when we provide Services that schools, teachers, and students use for educational purposes:
When we act as a vendor to educational agencies and institutions, we do so in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) and other applicable laws and only collect limited personal information of students for the use and benefit of the students in the educational/learning environment. We may collect the following limited information from students: name, email address, date of birth, username, school enrollment, grade levels, the names of the students’ teachers, district IDs, state IDs, homerooms, scheduled courses, grades, assignments, language information, and any information regarding how each student uses our Website or Services, including how long the games are played, game scores, levels attempted, and answers to prompts(collectively “Student Information”). We may collect the following information from teachers: names and email addresses.
Some of our Services collect Student Information from children under the age of 13 when the students interact with those Services. When we collect information from children under the age of 13, we do so in compliance with FERPA, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”), and any other applicable laws. Specifically, Filament Games only collects information from children under the age of 13 (and all students) where the student’s school, district, or teacher has provided access to the Services. COPPA allows teachers and school administrators to act in the stead of parents to provide consent for the collection of personal information from children.
We only use Student Information as we are authorized to by the applicable educational institution or agency. When we collect Student Information, we take additional steps to protect students’ privacy, including:
- Notifying educational institutions about our information practices with regard to children;
- In accordance with and where required by applicable law, obtaining consent from educational institutions for the collection of personal information from children, or for sending information about our Services directly to children; and
- Limiting our collection of personal information from children to no more than is reasonably necessary to participate in the Services.
2. Use & Sharing of Personal Information
We may use personal information to provide you marketing materials and other information about us and our products and services that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of some of these communications through links in the communications.
Certain third-party service providers, including our distribution partners, may also have access to your personal information, much of the time incidentally, when updates and/or maintenance is performed by such third-party service providers. Before we allow a third party service provider to do any work, we take reasonable steps designed to ensure that they are reputable and reliable in addition to limiting the extent of their interaction with personal information solely for the services they provide.
We may also disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in response to judicial or government issued orders, cooperate with third parties or legal authorities in the investigation of any suspected or alleged crime or civil wrongdoing or may use personal information to take precautions and protect ourselves from liability and/or defend ourselves from third party claims and allegations. We may also use and disclose personal information to protect and/or ensure the security or integrity of the Services and our Website.
To the extent that Filament Games includes affiliated entities such as parent or subsidiary companies, we may share personal information with the affiliated entities. Similarly, if Filament Games is acquired by or merged with a third party, we may share the personal information as part of due diligence for, or the consummation of, a transaction involving the merger, sale, divestiture, or other transaction involving the equity or assets of Filament Games. However, such sharing of personal information will always be done in accordance with the terms of these Privacy Policies. We may share aggregate, de-identified information with others, including affiliated and non-affiliated companies, for any legal purpose.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. However, if you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the features of the Website or services you visit. Information on deleting or controlling cookies can be found at www.aboutcookies.org.
You can opt out of Google Analytics by:
Our Website does not respond to “Do Not Track” requests.
To protect the privacy of personal information provided by you, Filament Games has implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. We urge you to take every precaution to protect your personal information when you are on the internet. Although we will take reasonable efforts to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of such information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
5. Access to and Deletion of Personal Information
You may have certain rights relating to your personal information subject to local data protection laws. Depending on the applicable laws and under certain conditions, individuals may have the rights below:
- Right to know categories of personal information collected, specific pieces of information, business purposes for collecting the personal information, categories of third parties the personal information is disclosed to, and whether personal information is being sold or shared and to whom.
- Right to delete personal information.
- Right to opt-out of a sale or sharing of personal information.
- Right to correct inaccurate information.
- Right to access information about whether we use data in automated decision making.
- Right to limit usage and disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information.
These rights are subject to certain exemptions, including without limitation to safeguard the public interest (e.g., the prevention or detection of crime) and our interests (e.g., the maintenance of legal privilege).
To exercise any privacy rights described above, please submit a verifiable request to us by either:
Only the individual themselves, or a person or entity authorized to act on their behalf, may make a verifiable request related to the individual’s personal information. A parent or legal guardian may also make a verifiable request on behalf of their child. If someone makes a request on behalf of another person, they may be required to provide written legal documentation that they are authorized to act on behalf of that other individual. We may not be able to fulfill a request or provide personal information if we cannot verify a requestor’s identity or authority to make the request. To verify a requestor’s identity, we may request up to three pieces of personal information about the requestor, and we reserve the right to take additional steps as necessary to verify a requestor’s identity if we have reason to believe a request is fraudulent. We will respond to most requests within one month.
6. Third-Party Platforms
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 without consent as required by law. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 without the proper consent, we will delete that information and otherwise comply with the requirements of any applicable law including FERPA and COPPA. If you believe someone under the age of 13 has provided us with personal information without proper consent, we ask that you contact us by email at email@example.com.